The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Poll :: Are these tests helpul even for US/CDN/UK consumers?

Yes!
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 4
Total Votes : 4

kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm   Post subject:  Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Enjoy! Razz

http://naf.no/no/Forbrukertester/Dekk/Dekktester/Vinterdekktest-2011/

(Run it through Google translate or similar. From Norwegian to whatever language you want)

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think the non-US reviews are helpful. If the tires aren't yet available in the US at the time of the review, they usually do make it to the US in the next year or two.

Dave Tire
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1364 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:40 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Good reading. They liked the Michelin X-Ice Xi2, which they said was better than some studded tires. In Norway, many roads are packed with snow so studded tires are common. The Xi2 was judged to be quiet, great on dry pavement, great on ice. Consumer Reports did not think the Xi2 was great on dry pavement, I believe. I think they thought the Blizzak WS60 was better.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R was also highly rated.

I was surprised at the 3rd rated Goodyear Ultra Ice.

The Continental Viking Contact 5 is not sold in the U.S. as far as I am aware.

Next was the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70.

I am driving on WS60's. When the are more worn, I was considering the Hakkapeliitta R but they are expensive. I was also considering the WS70 before I read this report. I still am. However, I may have two seasons left on my tires.

Download Post  No rating  
kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Dave Tire wrote (View Post): ›

They have the exact same treadpattern as the US model Continental Extreme Winter Contact. Might indicate it is the same tire, but personally I don't know if it is. I drive the Viking Contact 5 on one of my cars... it's a great snowtire but soft and "mushy" on asphalt. Wet performance is not great either.

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Like kakraemer said the viking contact 5 has the same pattern as the ExtremeWinterContact (just like the General Altimax Arctic was a renamed Gislaved Nordfrost 3).

I have both "US" versions. The Altimax Arctic has some excellent grip in snow/ice and rides well. Dry/wet I haven't noticed any issues but I'm not exactly voluntarily testing the handling limits when loaded with 7 people and ski equipment in a 5,000+ lb SUV.

The ExtremeWinterContacts I found to be actually very good in all conditions. They do have soft sidewalls so feel a little mushy but also extremely quiet and that mush makes for a nice ride on the highway. As I stated in other threads/reviews I'd put their handling on par with my all season tires even though they they don't have that as responsive feeling, they never lost grip when pushed to the limits. As opposed to the Sequoia loaded down, the Sonata checks in at 3200 lbs and is just me most of the time so 5 speed stick and long sweeping ramps (with runout recovery room if I screw up) lets me push them a bit more.

Download Post  No rating  
kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Sequoiasoon wrote (View Post): ›
...just like the General Altimax Arctic was a renamed Gislaved Nordfrost 3...

General Altimax Arctic/Gislaved Nordfrost 3 reappeared on the Scandinavian market last fall as Semperit Ice-Grip 3. http://www.dekkmann.no/main/dekk/personbil/vinter/semperit/semperit_ice_grip_3

Download Post  No rating  
Dave Tire
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1364 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 pm   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Are tires expensive in Norway?

I heard that cars are very expensive in Norway and Singapore. US$100,000 is not rare for the price of a car. In Singapore, labor is a bit cheaper so things like oil changes are not that expensive (or expensive for the oil, cheap if you bring your own oil).

Nokian Hakkapellitta tires are not too common in the U.S. I have seen a few cars with these tires. I am considering that brand next year.

Download Post  No rating  
kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Everything is expensive in Norway, but on the other hand the average income is high as well.
A set of Michelin X-Ice XI2 205/55R16 will be in the USD 1100 - 1350 range incl. mounting/balancing/new valves etc.

Cars in general are more expensive in every other country than USA. However in Norway the prices are extremely high, only beaten by Denmark as far as I know. I just ordered a new Ford S-Max Titanium spec (look it up Very Happy ) with a 2.0 litre turbodiesel engine with 140hp/250ft.lb and 6 speed Powershift gearbox. The pricelist says USD 78470. In the UK however the same car retails for USD 42020. Oh and by the way... a gallon of unleaded 95 (equals US mid grade 89-90) is a few cents shy of 10 bucks! Twisted Evil

Nokian is definately a safe choice for the harshest winter conditions.

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

So what we need to do is start an importing business. Is Norway left or right hand drive (left I believe)? The S-max is not currently a US version but other parts of Europe do have it. I'm sure there are some sort of high import taxes to discourage buying some where else and shipping it in if even an option.

Currently in my area mid grade is $3.79-ish/gallon and diesel is more expensive than premium ($3.95/gal). What is diesel cost there? What is average income to cover all that? 4 Xi2's shipped from Tirerack mounted locally, $610 USD

I always like the look of the S-max. Ford stopped making the minivan/mpv available here in the US as sales really slumped with people buying the Honda/Toyota/Chrysler versions

Dave Tire-
I had Nokians for many years (and still have my WRG2's until worn out as 3 season). Great tires in bad weather and the all-weathers are a great compromise. When I bought my latest snows (Altimax's and ExtremeWinterContacts) the Nokians were almost double the price. Based on all the testing results from CR, Tirerack and all the great European links here, there was no way I could justify spending that much more for what showed as basically the same performance.

Download Post  No rating  
kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:24 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Sequoiasoon wrote (View Post): › So what we need to do is start an importing business. Is Norway left or right hand drive (left I believe)? The S-max is not currently a US version but other parts of Europe do have it. I'm sure there are some sort of high import taxes to discourage buying some where else and shipping it in if even an option.

Easy put the whole price difference between UK and Norway is all taxes.
Sequoiasoon wrote (View Post): › Currently in my area mid grade is $3.79-ish/gallon and diesel is more expensive than premium ($3.95/gal). What is diesel cost there? What is average income to cover all that? 4 Xi2's shipped from Tirerack mounted locally, $610 USD

Diesel retail price is $8,90/us gal. However discounts up to 70 cents are normal during the week. Average income for a person working fulltime is approx 90-95K. Few earn less than 58K and few are above 135K. In addition we have free healthcare, schools, universities, government funded retirement, 1 year fully paid paternity leave, if becoming unemployed you are still entitled to 47K yearly etc. etc.

But we're loosing the topic here...
I consider Nokian tires to be the best there is when weather is at its worst. Yes, they are expensive but if you wan't the best you'll have to pay. That said, I'll agree that other brands may have similar performance in some areas but the total package Nokian offers for coping with extreme winter conditions is superior. On the other hand driving 5mph slower with an other brand might give you the same safety at a lower cost.

For my new S-Max I chose studded Vredestein Arctrac. Where I live winter is mostly wet with temperatures in the 30's. This results in mornings with black ice and afternoons with rain. Thus I need a compentent wet performer as well as a great ice tire. No studless tire can combine these two properties. The Arctracs are superior in the wet and dry (except for noise), and the studs ensures safety on ice. Best of all they were cheap also, at least to my standards.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I think the popularity of Nokians really varies in the US based on where you are and what crowd you hang around with.

I have been running Nokians since the early 90s (Nokia NR-09 [not "Nokian" yet]). Back in "the day", they were the hot setup for your winter rally car. Everyone back then seemed to run RWD Volvo 240s. (It was the days when before AWD started taking over -- my Galant VR4 was one of the first.) Most of the local rally crowd still runs Nokians on their cars, even if some of them say "Nordman".

I also have been led to believe that Nokian tires first became popular in the NE section of the US. Their move westward has been happening slowly of the past decade or so.

- John

Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

United Kingdom UK England
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:49 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for posting Kakraemer. FWIW in the UK Nokian seem to be priced as a mid-price tyre. Below the price of the likes of Michelin and Pirelii etc. It makes the choice easier for me although I guess people may overlook them because they they're on of the cheapo tyres.

Download Post  No rating  
Dave Tire
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1364 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:04 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Dave Tire wrote (View Post): › Good reading. They liked the Michelin X-Ice Xi2, which they said was better than some studded tires. In Norway, many roads are packed with snow so studded tires are common. The Xi2 was judged to be quiet, great on dry pavement, great on ice. Consumer Reports did not think the Xi2 was great on dry pavement, I believe. I think they thought the Blizzak WS60 was better.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R was also highly rated.

I was surprised at the 3rd rated Goodyear Ultra Ice.

Next was the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70.

I am driving on WS60's. When the are more worn, I was considering the Hakkapeliitta R but they are expensive. I was also considering the WS70 before I read this report. I still am. However, I may have two seasons left on my tires.

The article has been removed from the Norwegian website so my summary may have to do. I should have written a more detailed summary.

Download Post  No rating  
kakraemer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
435 Points

Norway NO Rogaland
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 am   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Download Post  No rating  
Dave Tire
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1364 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:40 pm   Post subject:  Re: Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish/Russian winter tire test 2011 Back to top 

Summary of part of the article for tires without studs:

#1. Michelin X-Ice Xi2
Stops shorter than most on ice.
Not quite as good as the best studded tires.
Good on dry pavement.
Quietest tire.

#2. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R
Not #1 because the Michelins are slightly better on ice.
Far better than many tires in snow.
Smooth performance.
Wet pavement: medium performance
Lowest rolling resistance.

#3 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice
Snow performance excellent (in braking, lateral traction)
Acceptable ice, but a little long stopping distances and too little lateral traction capability.
Wet pavement: good

#4 Continental Viking Contact 5 (this is not the Continental ExtremeWinter Contact, which is available in the U.S. and Canada)

#5 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
Not as good but still a good Nordic choice.
Not as good in snow.
Wet pavement: average

Kumho, Pirelli, Dunlop, Yokohama is next.

Download Post  Rating: Acknowledged  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic