The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Go to the homepageHome
Index of the forum.Forum

Display the acronyms being used by the forumAcronyms
View uploaded imagesAlbum
Check events posted in the forumCalendar
Downloads
Online help for the websiteForum Tour
Check articles uploaded to the websiteKnowledge Base
Topics that are top rated by forum usersLatest Ratings
Links CategoriesLinks
See who is online at this time.Online Users
All personal albumsPersonal Albums
News in RSS formatRSS Feed
Read the rules of this websiteRules
Members of our staffStaff
View website statisticsStatistics

Frequently Asked Questions.FAQ
Search through forums.Search Forums
Search trough downloadsSearch Downloads
Search_kb_extendSearch KB

Manage your own cookiesMy Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Nokian wrg2 noise

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:25 am   Post subject:  Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

Good Morning,

I have a 1997 Honda Accord. Last year I put 4 new Nokian wrg2 tires on and was happy with the performance of the tires. After about 25000 miles the front tires got extremely noisy (month of December 2008). I put up with it for a while and then called Nokian. They were very helpful about warranty. My dealer checked the tread and I had 2/32 left of good tread, they prorated me a set of new front tires at 50% because they were completely worn out. I thought this was going to solve the noise problem, but the new tires seem just as noisy? I do not remember the original installation being this noisy. It sounds like I have Mud & snow tires on from a pick up truck. Is this normal?

Thank You,

Kevin

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:08 pm   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

The Nokian WRG2s are normally quiet tires, I'd get it checked out. I'm also wonderring if you're perceiving the tires to be noisy when really they're no noisier than your previous set. Your ears may be getting more sensitive to road noise, or the roads you normally drive on have deteriorated over time. It's time to get a better insulated car. Smile

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:39 am   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

My WRG2's are very quiet. Maybe not AS quiet as the Michelin's but I don't recall hearing any noticeable difference (unlike my 6 year OLD, time to replace them hak 1's vs. Conti Cross Contacts on the Sequoia). I would definitely get the alignment checked and obviously need to work on more frequent rotations. What were the rears at if the fronts were down to 2/32" after 25k? I'll get some measuements when mine come off next month but if I recall from last year 30k life would be about max for me but shouldn't be at the legal limit yet. I'm only doing 5-6k on mine each season so I just rotate when I put them on for the winter. I do know that my fronts were definitely wearing faster than the rears which is to be expected. My Michelin MXV4 S8 "all seasons" are the same way though so I can't blame the tire. The G2 is softer and I would expect faster wear which is the trade off for better grip especially when colder temperatures hit.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The rear tires have 4/32 of useful tread left. I do not think it is the car. It rides very smooth and has always been quiet. This started when it got cold out this past December.I am wondering if it is the composition of the pavement from the cold weather? I am just baffled why the tires drone. Yes, I would call it DRONE.

Thank You,

Kevin

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

kevin wrote (View Post): ›
The rear tires have 4/32 of useful tread left. I do not think it is the car. It rides very smooth and has always been quiet. This started when it got cold out this past December.I am wondering if it is the composition of the pavement from the cold weather? I am just baffled why the tires drone. Yes, I would call it DRONE.

Thank You,

Kevin
Do you have other tires/rims to swap out with to see if sound (drone) changes any? Another vehice with same bolt pattern maybe?

I know in my daily drive I get some road noise but it's the same in my other vehicles and with my summer tires. I transition from brand new dead quiet blacktop to grooved concrete (that sings) to rough blacktop which of course is noisier.

I presume the tone/pitch of the drone varies with speed not RPM correct? My sisters Mustang had some loose bolts on the exhuast and would drone at like 2500 rpm no matter what gear or speed. 2 years later she had a bearing going that also caused the same type of noise. Your car is 12 years old (how many miles?) strange things wear (CV joints, bearings, gaskets, motor mounts, strut mounts, sticky calipers, mis-aligned and cracked weather strip, back side window partially open etc. ) Yeah, I had all of the above on my Corolla and each one created it's own little symphony of sounds that some were a total PITA to diagnose and fix.

By the way at 4/32" it's time to change the rears also. Check the Tirerack links I posted in the other threads.

Does the drone happen going straight or more in turns? Is it possible tires are mounted backwards (they have an inside and outside pattern) If revers3ed they would be noisier on the turns.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:01 am   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

Good Morning,

My Honda has 136,000 miles on the odometer. At 98,000 I did new front & rear brakes, new CV boots, and exhaust from the cat back, timing belt and fan belts. When I am driving I can put it in neutral and let the engine go to idle and the drone is still there. If I race my engine when coasting, I have nothing but a smooth sounding engine with no exhaust noise, so it is not exhaust. The first thing the tire dealer checked was the front end and it passed muster. the back tires actually have 6/32 of tread. 2/32 for the wear bar and 4/32 of useful tread above the wear bar. Yes, the pitch of the drone varies with speed, the faster the louder; but there seems to be a point where it just settles in at highway speeds and 20 mph higher or lower won't make a difference. I do not have an extra set of tires to swap or I would of checked that.

Thank You,

Kevin

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

A couple of secondary possibilities also come to mind. Are you driving with the windows open more often than you were when you put them on? Did something get into the treads, like stones?

Over Christmas, I got a new dishwasher for the family. It's one of those new-fangled ones that is whisper quiet. The old one was like a freight train. When I first put it in, it seemed like it made no noise at all, now that I have had a few month, I can hear it clearly (yet I can actually still talk over it -- something I couldn't do with the old one). It didn't get louder, but my expectations changed. Maybe that's what's happened.

PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

Good Morning,

I would like to think that I never noticed the noise before. It would save a lot of aggravation. I never drive with the windows cracked open or down. Maybe my expectations/perceptions did change? The only other guess is tire pressure. I have them inflated to 32 psi , would increasing the pressure make a difference? If not,I guess I will live with it for a while longer, probably swap them out for summer tires and remount them for the winter.

Thank You for all the help,

Kevin

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:33 pm   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

The pressure "shouldn't" make that much difference. Did you try swapping L>R and/or F>R? I'm wondering if something changed on the alignment and one tire is cupping which would definitely cause this also. Obviously it's not the fronts since they were just changed. I'd rotate to see if the sound changes or moves other. Check the tires carefully as you swap.

IF you will be getting summer tires I HIGHLY recommend getting spare rims from ebay, craigslist or local junk yard. Normal change over (mount/balance) will be at least $25 per tire X8 (for fall and spring) and you already have $200 to spend on rims. The most expensive spare rims I bought were my factory Toyota ones for the Sequoia. They were $240 shipped for all 4 from ebay. My Corolla was $120 for 4 steel, and my Sonata $100 for 4 alloy from a Tiburon that look better than the factory steel/cap combo and became my summer rims.

What size/bolt pattern are your current ones?

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:26 am   Post subject:  Re: Nokian wrg2 noise Back to top 

Good Morning,

The rear tires have a small amount of wear on the inside, but the roads are very rutted where I live (from heavy gravel trucks) they throw any car into a side to side sway on the "scenic Highway" and I drive this road a few times a day. The ruts do not look big when driving, but there is at least a six inch difference in road height between lanes in the tire travel area. My rims are 15" steel Honda with a 4 bolt lug pattern. My tire size is 185-65-15, this is the factory recommended size.

Thank You,

Kevin

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic