The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Go to the homepageHome
Index of the forum.Forum

Display the acronyms being used by the forumAcronyms
View uploaded imagesAlbum
Check events posted in the forumCalendar
Downloads
Online help for the websiteForum Tour
Check articles uploaded to the websiteKnowledge Base
Topics that are top rated by forum usersLatest Ratings
Links CategoriesLinks
See who is online at this time.Online Users
All personal albumsPersonal Albums
News in RSS formatRSS Feed
Read the rules of this websiteRules
Members of our staffStaff
View website statisticsStatistics

Frequently Asked Questions.FAQ
Search through forums.Search Forums
Search trough downloadsSearch Downloads
Search_kb_extendSearch KB

Manage your own cookiesMy Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Reviews of Nokian WR G2

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi Peter,

Well, I just wish more people would - last week, I saw 5 roadside accidents in a 2hr journey, and the previous weekend a car spun out on the A14 literally just behind me, I saw it go and the traffic came to a complete halt. That kind of thing scares me - although I know my car's geared up for it, it's the other crazies on the road that are the problem!

I got my tyres online. I actually get all my tyres online, it's far cheaper Smile I think mytyres.co.uk distribute from Germany, so you effectively have access to the continental tyre range. I previous bought direct from a German online retailer (one of the benefits of the EU!) with very reasonable postage costs. That said, I got my tyres fitted at the local tyre place, and the guy said, "Oh, winter tyres, we stock those!", and proceeded to tell me that the large local population of Poles, Latvians, Estonians, etc. had been demanding them, so they started stocking them (albeit a limited range).

Anyway, back to the WR G2s. Since writing the review, I found this:

http://www.dunlop-winteractie.be/be_nl/index.php?p=winterbanden&id=7999

The Autobild 2008 review is especially informative because, despite being in German, it's got a lot of hard data in it. Particularly interesting for me is the wet data. E.g. braking distance from 100kmh/60mph: their representative summer tyre clocks 42.3m, the Dunlop 52.4 and the Nokian 55.3. Plus the snow and dry ratings back up my feeling that the Dunlop is a better winter tyre all round, even for UK conditions, and that you really shouldn't be running the Nokians all year.

Your experience with the Nokians compared to your summer tyres in the wet could be down to a number of things: tread depth; relative quality of your summer tyre; cold (my summer tyres noticeably drop off when it starts getting below 5 degrees of so). I admit too that the CSC3 tyres I have fitted in summer are exceptionally good, and a really strong performer in the wet, so maybe it's a slightly unfair comparison, but I'd rather compare best against best when it comes to road safety!

Cheers for the comments!

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

United Kingdom UK England
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:07 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi,
Yeah, I get mine from mytyres too. Of course they only tend to stock the higher speed types used in Germany. Since I was intending to (and did) replace my car between this winter and the previous one, I had intended to try out the Nokian RSis on my old car (which needed new tyres in it's "last" year), since longevity wasn't an issue. However, I was unable to find a source for them.
Thanks for those links. I dunno if I've made the right choice or not but anyway I'm fairly happy with them. I may change brands though.
As to the summer tyres the fronts are the only two tyres I haven't bought from new yet. A fairly expensive first few months buying two new summer, four new winter tyres and four new rims to mount the winter tyres on Confused . The two tyres don't match either but they were nearly new. Hopefully I'll wear them out soon Cool . The (summer) rears seem ok (since I bought new ones) but it's at the front I can feel the lack of grip.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi Peter,

Tyres are one of those things with lots of trade-offs, the "right" choice is a bit of a moving target! I don't think the WR G2s are bad - they are exceptionally good value, given you must have paid about the same as me on mytyres, and they're probably the winter tyre of choice if you spend a lot of time on dry roads. It's just for the UK, I think the Dunlop is a better all round option. And I guess on the basis of the Autobild review, the Conti and Goodyear are also worth a look at.

Next time round, it's also worth looking at reifen.com - another German site with very good prices and customer service, I got my Dunlops from them. Though the recent EUR/GBP exchange rate movements might have changed this!

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi Courant,
I agree about compromises of tyres. One of my complaints about some of the tyre tests is that they rate things that I don't consider too important. For me they only have one purpose, to grip the road in all, and I don't really care if they are a bit noisier or wear a bit faster than a less grippy one. Obviously within limits Smile. I actually live in Wales (ATM) the number of days with dry roads are not that great.
I have been wondering if something like nokian hakkapeliitta (obviously without the studs Wink ) would be be better or worse that the WR G2s. I was thinking the bare tyre is more snow oriented than WR G2 but they'd be better than the frictionless nordics (like their RSi or R) on dry and wet roads. I'd be interested on anyones thoughts on this.
Thanks for that link. I'll have a look next time Smile .

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

From what I've read about "Nordic" tyres (e.g. Nokian Hakkapeliitta), it seems their performance in the warm, both wet and dry, is pretty compromised - they're designed for serious snow and cold weather conditions. I personally wouldn't touch them in the UK! Again, I'd be looking at the Dunlops as the UK winter tyre of choice for maximum performance irrespective of cost.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:05 am   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR Back to top 

First time posting --long time viewer.
After 3 winters with my Nokian WR my results were very good and very bad. First, I own a rear wheel drive vehicle and I have for the last 20 years. Second, this current vehicle is a 4runner-SUV which stands for 'surfacing under any condition." it's too light. I add sand bags to the back of the SUV in the winter and a large dog with remote control. Enough said.

I live in the 'gorge' oregon. The first winter my commute to work was through slush/ice or 6-12 inches snow never a problem. I was surprise because the tread really didn't make me believe it was worth the purchase. I was traveling in areas of step hills (ones that you can hear others burn up the rubber trying to make it up, then blow through an intersection on the way down.)

Year 2 I moved to an area wherein I started with no snow or ice every day, then progressed into wet snow, black ice and heavy snow. My commute is 25 minutes on an interstate. For a complete month I had to put the 4runner in 4wd to get to work. Fish tallying was common on icy spots. Originally, I purchase the tires because I was told they were 'stud-less' snow tires. That comment by the sales man should have waved red flag. They should not be sold to SUV owners without the studs. They are horrible on ice. RWD and SUV without studs are a combo for a mistake.

Notes: 1st year- they kept falling out of balance. But had positive results in traction.
Notes: Year 2-3 increased tire pressure to 45psi, road like a rock, lost the comfort but didn't have to return to balance them as often. Traction good 2nd year , 3rd year it preformed badly on ice.
Notes: They have to be pulled off in the transition season - spring. My Michelin M/S handle stands water far better than these tires. Both are siped. Since Nokian can't handle the black ice I prefer the tire that handles water better. Lesser of two evils.

Final Notes. I rotate my tires regularly, but the balancing issue was a problem. I'm watching the wear bars but my traction problems increased a several thousand miles before the wear bars became came into picture. The Wear bar is just that-I shouldn't have to replace a set of tires several thousand miles before the wear bar reach there rated limits. 25,000.

Great for snow or packed snow. Not recommend for ice or slush.

Patricia

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:31 pm   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Patricia,
I think that kind of goes for most "snow" tires as well as any NORMAL tire. If you watch the videos on Tirerack they recommend (and are trying to push gov't) to change "wear" limits to 4/32" not the current 2/32". My WR G2's have a regular legal limit wear bar as well as a "snow" wear bar which is at about 6/32". This is to people know that the snow grip will be compromised from that point forward. The Blizzaks have a special compound for the first half and then normal for the second half also with the same reduced grip info.

Quote sfrom Tirerack:
"When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound."

"NOTE: Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of "snow wear bars") are molded into the X-Ice's tread grooves to inform the driver when ice and snow traction will be reduced as the tire's tread wear reaches the point where the remaining tread depth becomes less effective in deep snow."

Watch THIS video on wet surfaces and wear limits . Snow just adds to that further. Side note that these worn ones were shaved so the rubber was still new and flexible as oppossed to the ones you normally use until worn where they get harder and lose flexiblity. Feel free to also watch the rest of the snow tire ones.

The balance issue could be from a couple problems. My WR's, WR G2's as well as my Michelin summers have not gone out of balance once balanced correctly. That siad when I first got the G2's the shop balanced them and my car shook like crazy. They pulled the weights off and rebalanced them but the first drive rebvealed the same problems. I brough the car to my friends shop (BMW dealer) and we did them on a Hunter GSP9700 road force balancer. We checked them as thet came off with how the "other" shop claimed they were good to see what the results were. Mind you that I watched the original shop redo them when they had done it and according to their machine they were balanced correctly. On the GSP9700 it was calling for almost the same amount of weights to be placed opposite where they currently are to try and even it out. It was the same for all 4 tires. We removed the weights and started fresh. 2 tires ended up with almost no weights and the others very minimal. Car is smooth as glass 2 years later.

Not saying that it isn't a bad tire which would keep getting worse as it wore unevenly and would need to be constantly redone to correct it. I'd be more inclined to say poor original balance and/or possibly a "stiff" spot in the belts which is what the roadforce looks for. Other options based on your scenarios of dry/wet/slush/snow/ice all in the same trip is snow/ice packed inside the wheel somewhere just from normal driving. Based on some of my tires having NO weights on them and some only a couple grams, obviously ANY snow accumulation will throw them out and then cause an unbalanced wear condition if used for any length of time in the unbalanced state. Ice inside the tire from normal condensation or "damp" air can also cause the same issue in winter. Nitrogen filled tires help this issue some.

All the above to all brands not just Nokian. I really like Nokians and the G2's so far a great choice for the winters we have had by me lately. They worked very well on the barely plowed roads we had Monday when we got 14" fresh. Many drivers went no where and I can tell you that worn (4/32") Goodyear Wrangler HT's (dually setup) provide almost NO GRIP on the back of the ambulance I was driving in the same stuff. My Sequoia in 2 wheel with worn (5-6/32") but 6 years old and brittle had no issue on the same roads. My Sonata with the G2's also accelerated and stopped better than a couple friends SUV's that were in 4WD at the time. If I had better actual snows it would probably have been more dramatic. But like above the compromise of 95%+ of my drives being totally dry roads with varied temps the better full snow would be almost a waste. The Sequoia which I take skiing will still get a better dedicated set next winter. Current choice will probably be the Michelin Latitude X-ice hopefully it will get the same advances the xi2 got this year. I still really like the Nokians from personal experience but getting the Michelins at Costco/BJ's will cost me $50/tire less and come with lifetime flat repair/road hazard/rotation etc. I'll probably still get them road forced after mounting just because of the dramatic difference I saw personally.

Which Nokian Tire is this on the front page????

Download Post  No rating  
stuffinder
Real User
Real User
1 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:23 pm   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Plus R & new Hak 7 Back to top 

1st, I'm a longtime user of Nokians, primarily on RWD Volvo's. Due to the purchase of a 2002 Chrysler T & C minivan for my wife during 2007 I was in search of a better winter tire than the Michelin MXV OEM tires. Some people think all season tires are sufficient for CNY Winters but not me! I bought WR G2's . They handled better than the OEM Michelins, reducing hydroplaning and squeal as well as being quieter. In the very worst snow and ice they weren't as secure as I would like so I'd been scanning Craigslist and stumbled across 4 sttudded Hakkapeliitta 2's w/80% plus tread! They're a little noisy but have transformed the van into a much safer vehicle in icy stuff we've been dealing with in "lake effect" ridden Central NY. I think the WR G2's are the best all season tire I've used.

2nd. I just replaced my '96 Volvo 965 with a '98 V90, same car but the end of the Volvo RWD line. Since the Nokian Rsi's on the '96 965 had two seasons, about 30K miles and decided to put a set of Nokian's new R on the V90. It had B/F Goodrich T/A's and was good in fresh and hard pack snow but really bad on ice. These are the best snow tires I've ever used, noticeably better than the Rsi's. What's especially nice about them is they handle much better on dry pavement than any snowtire I've tried before and quieter too.

3rd I believe the tire shown on the front page of Nokian's website is their new Hakkapeliitta 7. The guy I bought the R's from mentioned that he'd talked to some sales people at Nokian who believed they're going to count down on their numbers of styles next year. Perhaps not offering some styles sudded or unstudded as they are now. He told me the new studded tire was going to be called the Hak 7. I googled it and only found a picture and reference on a Russian website, no description.
Regards,
Tom Heitzman
Morrisville,NY

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:06 pm   Post subject:  Tire wear and balance Back to top 

Sequoiasoon,

The video was very interesting my 4runner could have been the model in place of the truck 4/32. Thus, this past winter tire preformance could be tied to getting close to 4/32. I didn't know about the issue, very helpful. Thanks.

The balance issue has always been a question with the Nokian. I actual purchased a set of rims to put the snow tires on verses doing the pulling and remounting winter to summer. The winter rim force the weights to be put on the inside of the rim. On the standard Toyota rims the weights are on the outside. Since the new rims I have thrown less shoes of the rim as we say in Oregon.

Your story on getting your tires to balance was helpful as well.

I'm still search for my next tire -studded something. I haven't ruled out Nokian studded H-5 or 7, or the LT version either. (Most people I know moved to the LT's) I've looked at the MICHELIN Latitude X-Ice, but I don't believe they are studded.

Patricia

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:12 pm   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Patricia,
What did you get rim wise that does not allow you to place weights on the outside? This could also be part of the problem since the weight can't be placed where it actually NEEDS to go. The technician will need to compromise and try to get best placement but that will be a moving target. I actually got some spare Toyota rims from ebay for the Sequoia for a great price. The weights on the outside don't look the greatest but I haven't lost any and I know why they are there.

Watch/read the info on the HUNTER GSP9700 and I HIGHLY recommend finding a shop that has one if you have balance issues.

If you hit all the ice as you say then a studded tire is probably your best option which unfortunately also limits your choices (the Michelin is NOT studdable) as are pretty much most of the SUV winter tires on Tirerack. Just remember that you will lose a little dry grip due to the studs and once you wear past the carbide tips the studs become almost useless also so "useable" tire life will be shortened accordingly. Just a bunch of FYI's so you don't expect to get down to 2/32" on your studded tires and hope they grip as new.

Another option might be the new TOYO Observe Open Country G0-2 plus with the crushed walnut shells in it or The Green Diamond Icelander A/T using the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tread pattern.

There were some discussions on both here if you search but I think the draw back on the GDT's was it's still a hard compound but the diamonds were very sharp. I think John even tested some.

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:15 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Courant wrote (View Post): › From what I've read about "Nordic" tyres (e.g. Nokian Hakkapeliitta), it seems their performance in the warm, both wet and dry, is pretty compromised - they're designed for serious snow and cold weather conditions. I personally wouldn't touch them in the UK! Again, I'd be looking at the Dunlops as the UK winter tyre of choice for maximum performance irrespective of cost.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been doing some "testing" (actually just driving round) in some real Arctic conditions Cool .
I was thinking specifically of those tyres that can be studded but using it without studs (since we can't) rather than the "Nordic friction" (ie S/R speed rated) type. From the (Norwegian) reviews I've read the studded tyres seem to perform better in the wet (can't remember about dry ATM Embarassed ) than the studless ones. One assumes this is (partly) because the studded tyre doesn't need to be as soft as the studless ones. Certainly studded tyres have a higher speed rating than studless ones. So I was just thinking idly about whether using studded tyres (but without the studs) would be advantageous (in snowy/icy) conditions compared to the higher speed ("European style") friction tyres that we can get here. And how big the compromise would be for wet & dry use.
Out of interest when are you thinking of changing back to summers?

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:33 am   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Sequoiasoon wrote (View Post): › Follow up post:

OK here's the numbers.....

I went 5600 miles with the G2's that were installed 12-5-07 and removed today 4-7-08.

Nokian WR G2 starts with 11/32" of tread.
Front tires = 8-9/32" (center was a little more worn than edges (slight overinflation they had 32-33 psi in them all winter)
Rear tires = 10/32"

I hadn't rotated them but "normally" do that around 7,000 miles on my cars.

Stock Michelin MXV4 S8 start with 10/32" they were removed 12-5-07 with 13,000 miles on them and reinstalled today.
Front tires = 7/32"
Rear tires = 9/32"

OK so here is where I'm at NOW. WR G2's installed on 11-27-08 (Thanksgiving) and removed today 4-9-09 with an additional 5900 miles on them.

All four WR G2's are now evenly worn and at 8/32" tread remaining. They rode great all winter, handled good in the corners and were nice and quiet. They performed well in the deeper snow we had but as the year before we had much more dry roads than anything with some rains tossed in for good measure. Based on this wear rate I'll be able to get 2 more seasons out of them for snow which should put all of them at the snow platform indicators leaving me to run them down as an "all season" into that summer/fall. The rear tires from lack of twisting, accellerating etc have enough rocks/pebbles in them to start my own personal gravel pit/rock quarry (the summer Michelins same deal but not as many due to less siping). I guess the Sonata does not put a very heavy toll on the rears tires also evident by the much slower wear rate.

As for the Michelin's for summer, I'll need to watch the wear and rotate earlier as well as keep an eye on the hydroplaning. They are all also evenly worn at 6/32" with 23,500 miles total on them. If my driving stays the same (which it should since it's basically all commuting) this might be the last three seasons on them, at most maybe next spring but that will depend on the hyroplaning. They'll have about 35K on them at that point and will all be at about 4/32". So far they have been very good tires, nice ride, totally silent, handling was also good. Not sure if I would get them again just based on $$ and total performance. Luxury ride quality, gas mileage, and noise I definitely recommend them.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu May 07, 2009 6:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Peter K wrote (View Post): ›
Out of interest when are you thinking of changing back to summers?

Having spent most of the month in and out of airport lounges, I changed the Nokians over at the end of April.

Two additional comments worth making:

1. The wear rate seems excellent: 12,000 miles since November and I'm down to 6mm on the front and 7.5mm. This is much, much better than my summer tyres.

2. A dry end of March and April confirms what I think about the Nokian's performance in the dry - it's really rather good! Plus they're nice and quiet.

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi again, I changed mine at the end of March. I did 10.5k miles on them this year and finished with 7mm on the rear and 6mm on the front. Doesn't seem too bad. I've not really got enough data from the summer tyres yet to compare, but will report in autumn/winter this year when I change over.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:55 pm   Post subject:  a reply to Sequoiasoon and balancing Back to top 

I wanted to post a follow up and a thank you for your help with my Toyota 4runner balancing issue. It's July 2009 and I have been running my Michelin for 4 months on a smooth ride. I took your advice and found a shop that had the correct equipment. I needed to take the vehicle back a second time for balancing in the first week. I think they failed to do a good job the first time because the shop was packed full of people because of the studded deadline was nearing.

After the second time to the shop for balancing the tires have preformed wonderfully for the last 3.5 months.

My Nokian tires are done so I'll be looking for a new set this winter. My vehicle has an after market front bumper and winch adding quite a bit of weight to the front end. I will be moving over to a studded tire simply because of the black ice I encounter on my trips into work.

Thanks for the tips and video. My ride is smooth again Very Happy
Patricia
Oregon

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic