The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Go to the homepageHome
Index of the forum.Forum

Display the acronyms being used by the forumAcronyms
View uploaded imagesAlbum
Check events posted in the forumCalendar
Downloads
Online help for the websiteForum Tour
Check articles uploaded to the websiteKnowledge Base
Topics that are top rated by forum usersLatest Ratings
Links CategoriesLinks
See who is online at this time.Online Users
All personal albumsPersonal Albums
News in RSS formatRSS Feed
Read the rules of this websiteRules
Members of our staffStaff
View website statisticsStatistics

Frequently Asked Questions.FAQ
Search through forums.Search Forums
Search trough downloadsSearch Downloads
Search_kb_extendSearch KB

Manage your own cookiesMy Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Reviews of Nokian WR G2

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

United Kingdom UK England
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:01 am   Post subject:  Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Before the server crash I asked if anyone had any reviews of the Nokian WR G2. I was hoping someone might know of some magazine tests but I've not managed to find any yet. IIRC there one member posted his review in another forum, I hope he'll post it again. I'm especially interested comparisons of it to the Nokian RSi, although perhaps comparisons to the upcoming Nokian R would be more relevant.

Last edited by Peter K on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
Sequoiasoon
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
1598 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 am   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Peter my posts from a different forum.

The G2's are very nice so far. The couple snows that we did have I had no issue going (or stopping) anywhere while others were not as fortunate. They have been excellent in the rain and dry, even at 85-90 mph. Hydroplaning has not been any issue and they handle better than my stock Michelin MXV4 S8's.

Hard to give an exact comparison as the WR's were on the Corolla that didn't have ABS/ESC/traction control. I would say that to me the G2's felt a little better in the snow and basically the same in dry/wet with the added benefit of being able to rotate easier to even out tread wear because of pattern. I'll be taking them off next week to put the Michelins back on for summer. Jury is still out on the tread wear which I'll check with gauge when they come off and report back. The G2's do not have a treadwear warranty but according to the Nokian DSI numbers on the tread I'm at about 7mm (8-9/32" which started at 11/32"). Based on that I might get 3 more winter seasons from them (and then probably run them for the summer until gone). I'll check the actual miles I put on and report with the measurements. I would have only gotten about 30k out of the WR's (50k warranty) but I'm not one that lets them wear down to the 2/32" wear bars. 4-5/32" is my limit as I notice the difference in rain by then. The WR's (in my sizes started at 12.5/32") so easy to see some extra life.

Directional tires to me are a catch 22. I like the look and that they normally have better wet traction due to pattern. Unfortunately if they start to wear (cupping) you can't reverse the pattern. My Nokian hak SUV's are starting to get a little odd wear mostly from the around town driving I think. Unfortunately it is making them noisier at the same time. Still great grip but louder on trips. I didn't notice that issue on the WR's even as they wore so definitely attribute it to the weight of the Sequoia and the higher percentage of around town driving.

To give the tires (and Sonata) some credit. I don't drive easy all the time . I like to push them in turns (where safe) so have definitely put the handling characteristics to the test and they were great even in those heavy rains. I purposely tried to make the car slide a little on some on/off ramps but bewteen the tires and ESC it didn't happen. I was amazed at how much grip the tires provided the car when I purposely did some parking brake assisted turns/slides in some parking lots. With the ESC active the car straightened right out which says a lot for actual tire grip provided. Many people slid in these lots just trying to get around and I had to work to have fun sliding . ESC?ABS/traction control don't do anything if the tire itself has no grip!!!

I would recommend either one with no issue. According to Nokian they don't replace the previous version unless they can get a 10% better grip which would be the WR to G2. The G2's are very nice but if you want a little longer service life the WR's would probably be a better choice.

I've pretty much always had seperate summer and winter tires all mounted on rims. I want the most tread available for winter and just hate to burn them up during the summer to suffer in winter. $$ wind up about the same with the added life to summer tires by not using them in winter and safety definitely goes up. I was on the edge on whether to get the WR or G2 or a new set of RSI's or Hak 5's. Based on the winter we had here (or the lack thereof) I'm glad I went with the all-weather type. They were the perfect choice for me. I would have been pi$$ed to burn the RSI's or 5's up as they would have been wasted this year.

Follow up post:

OK here's the numbers.....

I went 5600 miles with the G2's that were installed 12-5-07 and removed today 4-7-08.

Nokian WR G2 starts with 11/32" of tread.
Front tires = 8-9/32" (center was a little more worn than edges (slight overinflation they had 32-33 psi in them all winter)
Rear tires = 10/32"

I hadn't rotated them but "normally" do that around 7,000 miles on my cars.

Stock Michelin MXV4 S8 start with 10/32" they were removed 12-5-07 with 13,000 miles on them and reinstalled today.
Front tires = 7/32"
Rear tires = 9/32"

They were NOT rotated during that time (life got in the way) but were rotated when I installed today.

I don't know if I'd want the G2's for year round use and hope to have good tread for next winter. The G2's have an extra wear bar with a snowflake on them to let you know when snow performance will be reduced which is at about 6/32" tread left. If the tires are NOT rotated properly that would be about 15,000 miles. Proper rotation might yield another 5k. After that it's time to burn up during the summer until your at your comfortable minimum useable tread level.

In fairness to the tires they are a much softer compound than the stock ones so you would expect a little faster wear which is the price you pay for better grip.

I guess overall weight distribution of the Sonata definitely puts a much heavier toll on the fronts and that's with the 4 cyl......

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:43 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for reposting your review Sequoiasoon. Your data on longevity remind me of the other thread I'd like to recreate. I'm intrigued to read that you think they handle better than your stock tyres but I've not used the MXV4. Also interesting is your comment on tyre pressure vs wear. I used the Nokian recommended pressures for my WRs and they wear more on the edges which would suggest they're under-inflated.
So far I've only found a few reviews in forums and this, from a German tyre site. Sadly neither my German nor Googles is good enough to determine whether it is their review or just sales literature.

Download Post  No rating  
Blurry
Real User
Real User
208 Points

USA US Maine
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

I ran G2's on my son's 2000 VW Jetta and my 2006 Honda Civic Si (which has LSD). I can say in my Si, these were the best tires of used in the Maine snow. We had record breaking snow this past winter and I had no issues driving the 20 plus miles each way to work often on unplowed back roads. No issues accelerating from a stop or stopping. They have been excellent in every weather condition, rain and dry, even at highway speeds. I only used mine for the winter. My son still has his on his Jetta since he only drives about 1000 miles or so during winter and has only put on 2000 or so miles since last November. I will be putting on his summer tires this weekend. It's stressfull enough having a teenager who drives...add snow, slush and ice to the mixture and it becomes even more worrysome...I used his Jetta wtih the WRs to go skiing twice this winter and had absolutely now problems on the mountain roads, and on unpaved snow roads once at the slopes. On many of the snow days from school, my son instead of staying home like normal people decided to go out and meet up with friends to cross country ski, play hockey or whatever teenagers do and he reported the WRs were great, better then his friends with AWD subarus on all-seasons. I was a little concerned since his car 00 Jetta does not have LSD or any sort of traction control but he learned quickly to be gentle with the accelerator and didn't have any issues. The WRs on my Civic Si were fantastic in any type of condition...I'm sure the LSD had a lot to do with it...it surprised me of how well it accelerated from a stop, better then many other trucks, and awd vehicles and stopped just as well.

My plan this year is to buy them for my 04 Volvo S60R and my wifes 06 VW Passat 4-Motion. I would highly recommend these to anyone. I know Nokia lists them as an ALL-WEATHER tire not all-season or snow...I would recommend them to almost anyone who drives on our plowed roads with the occasional deep snow trek. If you live in the mountains where the roads never get plowed, and you have to drive through 8-10" of snow, you may want to consider a snow tire; but they were more than what I had hoped for, I drove them through fall rain, winter slush, snow and several times in 6 plus inches of unplowed snow as well as dry winter highways and loved them. You also get the benefit of much longer treadwear then a dedicated snow tire.

I forgot to add that prior to these, I had the regular WRs on my 02 Ford Focus SVT and used them for 4 seasons and loved them as well. You can't go wrong with either the WRs or WR G2s.

2006 VW Passat 4-Motion w/all-seasons
Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:46 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

So we got our first snowfall of the year and here are my impressions with the WR G2 so far. We started off in the city where it was the heavier, wetter snow we typically get in Vancouver as temperatures was just a tad below freezing, and the tires went through it like a charm. There was no problem starting or stopping anywhere even on Vancouver's many hills although I did not go crazy as there was heavy traffic (at 11pm).

However there was one area of concern. As I headed inland and up higher elevations, I was greeted by something we have never experienced in Vancouver before... a dry, light-packed snow that the tires had an extremely difficult time gaining traction on both starting and stopping. Even starting off from second gear caused my tires to slip and I had to be oh so careful not to lock my wheels while stopping (my car does not have ABS). I'm quite disappointed, I don't know if it's just the fact that the tires have not broken in yet but both the front and rear tires have seen 2,000km in each position so far. Could it be that the tires are not designed for this type of snow or am I not driving in it properly?

At least ice traction was excellent as tested on a side street. I could not walk on it at all yet the car accelerated and stopped without any issues.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

DKaz wrote (View Post): › I was greeted by something we have never experienced in Vancouver before... a dry, light-packed snow that the tires had an extremely difficult time gaining traction on both starting and stopping.

I've noticed the same thing with different tires on similar snow -- light, fluffy, not sticking to itself. IMHO, the problem isn't the snow tires, it's the snow. Snow tires work by either cutting through the snow to something with grip, or gripping the snow. If the snow is not sticking to itself and there is too much to cut through, no matter how good you grip the snow, the snow itself won't grip. (Wow, that was a confusing sentence.... let me try again...) If my shoes have perfect grip on a banana peel, but the banana peel has not grip on the floor, I'm still going to have a problem. (Actually, I think socks on your feet and on a waxed floor is another good illustration.)

- John

PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

jwernerny wrote (View Post): › Snow tires work by either cutting through the snow to something with grip, or gripping the snow. If the snow is not sticking to itself and there is too much to cut through, no matter how good you grip the snow, the snow itself won't grip.

No I got it, that's exactly what it felt like. I turned onto the street from a main road and as I drove down it felt like the car was driving on air. Are studs the only way to conquer this type of snow then? I did not anticipate this type of snow in Vancouver but climate change has certainly thrown a few surprises at all of us the past few years. (Snow in Louisiana, yikes). The WR G2s have proven to be really good otherwise in the snow we typically get.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

DKaz wrote (View Post): › Are studs the only way to conquer this type of snow then?

Only if there is something underneath to grab onto, and the tires are narrow enough to sink down that low. My experience is that the snow doesn't stay in that form too long. Once it does start to get packed, or warmed, or colder, it changes again. [I'm finally starting to understand why the Eskimos have many, many different words for was we simply call snow.]

- John

PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well after enjoying a few dry days (Saturday's snowfall didn't affect our suburb town) we got an inch of powdery stuff today... I've been learning to be easy on the gas and keeping the clutch a bit more disengaged and it's been better. I tried stopping the car on a 10% uphill incline and it started off without a hitch. Downhill braking has been good as long as I started stopping well in advance but I'm still wonderring what if I have to pull off some hard braking. Without ABS, driver skill really comes to play. In theory and practice pumping the brakes works but in reality we just want to slam on the brakes if we need to stop right away. I'm going to have a bit of fun in a parking lot tonight to test the limits of the tires.

My wife is absolutely complaining about the tires though, so that's where the red flag comes up. Her instinct to stop is definitely just stepping on the brake instead of pumping and she said she slipped braking down the same hill. I can handle the driving dynamics but she says that the snow tires she had on her car last year were a lot better. I may have to switch to a different winter tire if she has it her way. And I do sort of agree, the tires are better than the all-season tires I had on my car last season but they're still somewhat lacking.

I called the place I bought the tires from (Kal-Tire) and they said I can switch the tires and just pay for installation+balancing and difference in price, been looking at the Michellin X-Ice 2s which seems to be getting rave reviews in snow and ice with little compromise to wet and dry road handling (a very important one) but I'm wonderring if it'll make a difference with powder snow traction. Maybe take the opportunity to get 185/65/R15 which is what the 2008 Corolla CE is supposed to come with according to the sales brochure instead of the 195/65/R15 that somehow came with the car (and is listed in my door jam)...

Ahhhh there's no easy answer. Perhaps I should've got a car with ABS after all... and maybe 4wd...

Edit: Scratch that, seems the Michellin X-Ice 2s are completely sold out this year. They have Hakka Rs but they don't seem to perform well in wet weather... I think I'm better off sticking with the WR G2s and just taking it easy.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

So last night I had time to really take my car out for a spin. We got a total of 4 inches of snow and it's basically settled down so I decided to see how the tires really performed. Well I was less than impressed from the get go when the car refused to start off on an uphill incline consisting of a layer of frozen slushy stuff on compact snow.

I eventually got out of it and went to a parking lot to test out acceleration and braking on a mix of powder and compact snow. While the acceleration was again less than impressive going from 0-50km/h, stopping as hard as I can without locking the brakes from 50 to 0 was extremely impressive. There was no way all-seasons could stop that hard in a short distance, and when I did happen to push on the brake pedal too hard, the car gave me a gentle feed back to ease on the brakes a little. Very cool. Even if useless when starting off, at least it can stop.

I decided to take a drive on Dewdney Trunk Road, a hilly, curvy, 2 lane highway that has not been tended to therefore covered with compact snow. At the speed limit of 80km/h, the car does exhibit some lateral movements on straightaways but the car still moved forward. Taking curves at the posted turn speed was also good but I could feel that if I went any faster the tires would probably start to loose grip. The final test involved braking hard at the intersection and again impressive.

Finally I went home and knowing that one particular block before the light was 80m long I tried to stop hard from 55km/h and ended up coming to a complete stop well before mid block. I made a turn back onto my street and the car did show some lateral slippage when it hit that mix of frozen slush and compact snow. Braking in slush was doable but the car whined a bit, and again stopping in powder was problematic as my car steered sideways when the brakes locked.

So my verdict is still up in the air. While I do feel very safe driving with these tires, my wife refuses to drive right now. My only concern is that if I'm stopped at a stop sign or traffic light going up hill, will I be able to go? While the increased safety is much appreciated, we paid $700 (incl taxes, installation) for tires that aren't proving to perform much better than regular all-season tires in ceratin cases and that really irks us.

Download Post  No rating  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

I've found some reviews of the WR G2 now. The ADAC test found here. And some comments in another forum (here and here). The comments seem to suggest that the WR G2's "weak spot" is in grip, especially traction, in light powdery snow. This seem to be what you are reporting also. Don't know if any of this helps you.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:50 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The APA (Automobile Protection Association) over in Eastern Canada gave the WR G2 1 star out of 5 (meaning it's passable, as opposed to 0 star for unacceptable like most all-seasons).

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=297

I know I heard good reviews about the WR G2 from many people but these tires have been far from impressive. Maybe it's just my car (I somehow think a RWD with good tires will do better in the snow than a FWD) or the fact that I really don't have much experience driving in the snow as we only get snow 2, maybe 4 weeks a year but my wife from the much more colder climates of Edmonton Alberta definitely thinks the tires are lacking. I somewhat safely got around in all-seasons last winter and except for the increased braking ability I am again somewhat safely getting around in the WR G2s.

If someone came to me and said "I can only afford one set of tires, what do you recommend?" for sure the WR G2s all the way, they are in no way bad tires and just leaps and bounds ahead of the other all-seasons... but if you can afford two sets of tires... definitely go with some of the better dedicated winters out there.

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 pm   Post subject:  Re: Reviews of Nokian WR G2 Back to top 

Nokian WRG2 are a all season are they not, so from what I have read here, I feel they are doing a great job be it they are not a actual winter tire, solely for the purpose of snow/ice slush etc.

Just a thought.

-R&D

Download Post  No rating  
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hi there,

Thought I'd post a quick review of the Nokian WR G2 as I've been running them since October and have clocked up about 7000 miles with them in a range of conditions. They're a good tyre but with some caveats, and I'd only recommend them in certain situations. Read on...

I live in the UK. Winters here are generally mild but it's not uncommon to get snow, and the weather can vary quite quickly from cold to warm. So, the tyre really has to be able to do it all, from warm dry tarmac through ice and snow. Hence I thought I'd try the WR G2, as it's billed as a do-it-all tyre.

I run separate summer and winter tyres, both in size 225/45R17. My current summer tyre is a Conti Sport Contact 3 (really excellent, BTW). Previous winter tyre was a Dunlop WinterSport M3 (also really excellent).

Given the WR G2 is marketed as a all-season, it's worth comparing it to both summer and winter tyres. Summer first (comments relate to warm conditions). I'll be frank - I wouldn't run this tyre all year round. In the dry it's actually pretty good, and drives very much like a regular summer tyre. Steering response is a little slower, but this is to be expected. They also tramline a little, not much, but a little. However, in the wet, it's not very confidence inspiring - grip is noticeably down, and while i haven't aquaplaned with these, driving through standing water feels a little insecure. Maybe compared to other all-seasons it's not bad, I wouldn't know, but personally I'd take the extra safety margin provided by dedicated summer and winter tyres.

Winter. Cold and dry tarmac grip is really excellent, this is really very good and noticeably better than the Dunlop that went before - in the dry, you genuinely don't really notice you've got a winter tyre on. In the wet and cold, it's still a little slippy but broadly on par with the Dunlop and certainly much better than a summer tyre below, say, 5 degrees C. Snow is passable - there was more than sufficient grip to be able to drive safely but the Dunlop was definitely the better tyre here, across a range of conditions (slush, wet snow, packed powder).

Other factors... noise is good, treadwear is excellent so far (down about 1.5mm at the front), they look smart and come in a good range of sizes. Cost is a big plus, at least in Europe, where the Nokians come in around 30% cheaper than the Dunlops (this was a big factor in me buying them).

So, what can I say in summary. These might make a very good all-season tyre if you prepared to accept some summer compromises. Not for me personally. So, we're left with winter performance. Honestly, the Dunlop is the better winter tyre, by a noticeable margin when it really matters (e.g. snowy and wet conditions). So, it really comes down to cost - if you can afford it, buy the Dunlops as your winter tyre of choice (and I will again when these finally wear out!), otherwise these make a good budget option. Also, if you spend a lot of the winter on dry roads with occasional wet or snowy conditions, these would be a really excellent choice.

The WR G2 is generally good and certainly fills a niche, but make sure you know where the compromises are when you buy this tyre.

Download Post  Rating: Acknowledged  
Peter K
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
802 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:17 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks Courant, it's good to read that other UK drivers are using winter tyres. I've felt rather pleased with the concept this year whilst everyone else has been moaning about the snow Wink . Just wondering where you managed to get the tyres from since most retails seem determined to convince me that the winters here "aren't bad enough" to need them. So I buy them online - which is cheaper anyway Cool .

I too have been running WR G2s this season. For various reasons I'd left changing to the winter tyres a little later than I would have liked (partly due to the earlier onset of wintry conditions this year that previously). Although I agree with your comments about the Nokians in the dry for me, I felt they were notably better than the summer tyres I'd taken off in the wet. Maybe the summer tyres were a poor example or maybe it was just too cold for them. I also had the misfortune to drive on the summer tyres in the snow, it was notable just how easily the wheels locked when braking. So I've been pleased with the WR G2s performance in the snow (they've not let me down yet) although it's interesting to read that other tyres in the same category perform better on snow (although perhaps not so much on dry). Overall I think that something with the WR G2s characteristics is roughly right for the UKs largely snowless winters compared to something with more snow performance but less "bare road" ability.

It's been said before that, although WR G2s are an "all weather" tyre, I take that to mean they are ok in the dry and wet as well as snow and ice. However Nokian.fi don't have an "all season" section and they put the WR G2s in their winter category which they recommend are not used on "harsh spring roads" IIRC. Anyway, (IMHO) I would not consider them a tyre to use during the summer but simply one that can cope with the warm days we (in the UK) have in the winter, unless mileage is very low.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic