The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Go to the homepageHome
Index of the forum.Forum

Display the acronyms being used by the forumAcronyms
View uploaded imagesAlbum
Check events posted in the forumCalendar
Downloads
Online help for the websiteForum Tour
Check articles uploaded to the websiteKnowledge Base
Topics that are top rated by forum usersLatest Ratings
Links CategoriesLinks
See who is online at this time.Online Users
All personal albumsPersonal Albums
News in RSS formatRSS Feed
Read the rules of this websiteRules
Members of our staffStaff
View website statisticsStatistics

Frequently Asked Questions.FAQ
Search through forums.Search Forums
Search trough downloadsSearch Downloads
Search_kb_extendSearch KB

Manage your own cookiesMy Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Blizzak WS60 Pics & Review

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:39 pm   Post subject:  Blizzak WS60 Pics & Review Back to top 

I just got the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 delivered. 185/65-15. I took some close-up tread pics if anyone is interested. Once we get some snow, I'll add a review to this post.

--

--

--

Some things I noticed. There are now "brake boosters" just like the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi has. Look on the hind side of the tread blocks. Also, there's curious little grooves running perpendicular to the sipes. They're very shallow too, so I'm wondering what they're for. Just a manufacturing thing, like the little mold nubs?

The WS60 now has a directional, water channeling design which seems so common on winter tires (all tires really). My old WS50s were unidirectional and had no clear channeling for water and slush removal.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:10 am   Post subject:  Re: Blizzak WS60 Pics & Review Back to top 

Thanks for posting the pictures. There is definitely some changes.

For reference, here is a shot of the WS-50
Image 14

(click to enlarge)

And here is a shot of the RSi.
Image 22

(click to enlarge)

- John

red90
Real User
Real User
95 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:33 pm   Post subject:  Re: Blizzak WS60 Pics & Review Back to top 

The siping looks REALLY shallow on those tires. Is it as bad as it looks? This has always been the downfall of Blizzaks. They lose the snow traction after the treads wear down below the siping.

Download Post  No rating  
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The sipes are deep, just not all at exposed on the side of the tread blocks. I was wondering about that too though. I poked around with a small screwdriver a bunch and all the sipes go very deep.

Download Post  No rating  
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

The Tire Rack has their latest Winter catalog out, and in it there are preliminary tire test results. I'm assuming a more comprehensive article will be up on their website eventually. Here's the catalog. http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/ITwinter07.pdf

In the catalog they have 60 foot acceleration times on ice. (a hockey rink).

#1. Blizzak WS60 = 4.6 seconds
#2. Dunlop Graspic DS-2 = 4.9 seconds
#3. Michelin X-Ice = 5.2 seconds
#4. WinterForce Studded = 5.3 seconds

I know the Winterforce isn't considered a cutting edge tire, but it's still encouraging to see three modern studdless tires outperform it in this specific test. From what I've heard the Graspic DS2 has a new tread compund this year. In past tests I don't think it has done this well.

Download Post  No rating  
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:30 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Well I have over 1,000 miles on these tires, and have been driving on lots of snow and ice lately. Thought I'd update with a review. My last tires were the Blizzak WS50.

Pavement:
The WS60 is a significant improvement over the WS50. In an effort to save treadwear I haven't pushed them too hard, but the difference is noticeable. Even with full tread depth, that squishy freeway wander is much reduced (after the break-in of course). Let's be honest though, these are serious studless winter tires, so don't expect them to be a "good" pavement tire. I do feel safer on the freeway with the WS60. The WS60 also seems to be more firm in compression (vertical loads). Driving over rough, broken pavement is a noticeable change over the WS50.

Snow:
I honestly can't feel a large improvement in snow traction. I'd say they are roughly the same, possibly a bit better. I need more testing time to be sure though. Keep in mind the WS50 was never a bad snow tire. What is improved is straight line stability in deeper snow. The WS50 would noticeably wander over roughly 25mph. This seems to be almost gone with the WS60. Little corrections are certainly required in deeper sections, but it feels much better. Confidence is up!

Ice:
The above TireRack tests seem to indicate the WS60 is a far better ice tire than the WS50, so I'll have to take their word on that. I haven't driven on glaze ice on the WS50 in a long time, since we don't get ice like that very often in Minnesota. We did have a late night of pure ice a week ago, so I did test the WS60 for a short while. While it was definitely slippery, and wheelspin was plentiful, I never felt out of control. Nor did I ever feel I was ever gonna be stuck. Keep in mind these were conditions that only a high-end studded tire would have done well in. Overall I was pleased.

Noise:
I've never experienced noisy winter tires as some describe. The WS50 was quiet, the WS60 is quiet.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic