The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

John's Personal Picks!

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:21 pm   Post subject:  John's Personal Picks! Back to top 

Since the Forum is easier to update, I have moved my recommendations page here.

Recommendations From 2003 and Earlier

I only personally recommend tires I am familiar and have experience driving on. I can provided information on other choices, but I can't recommend them. I have broken down the list by tire brand.

Bridgestone
    Blizzak WS-15 (The original) Still a good bet, but watch the tread wear. Once the special rubber is worn off, they are an average performer.

Nokian
    Hakkapeliitta NR-09 (80 series) Narrow and outclassed by Nokian's newer tires. Still, they offer some hard to find narrow sizes. Check the Nokain Tires website for availability!

Hakkapeliitta NR-10 Good snow traction. Great ice traction when studded. Not as precise as the newer Hakkapeliitta 1.

Hakkapeliitta 1 A step above the NR-10 in always. This tire has a firmer sidewall than the NR-10, and thus has better turn-in when cornering.

Hakkapeliita NRW A True All-Season Tire that works well both in the snow and the dry. This tire is being replaced by the WR.

WR Light Truck The first Light Truck / SUV tire The Snow Tire FAQ has tested. To put simply, it's everything you have grown to expect from a snow capable tire from the Finish manufacturer, Nokian.

Dunlop
    Graspic DS-1 - Very good ice traction for acceleration and braking. Watch out for hard cornering, though. A good choice if you don't corner on two wheels.

Vredestein
    SnowTrac - A very good all round snow tire from a company I really like. (They still make tires that fit my '65 Volvo 122.)

Last edited by jwernerny on Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject:  December 2004 Adendum Back to top 

2004 Update

Here are my December 2004 Picks. All of these have met the Severe Winter Service Traction Standard.

Nokian
    WR AWP2 - Yet another winner from Nokian. The WR is a fantastic high speed snow tire. It have very good dry road characteristics, and snow characteristics. It is a great all round tire for areas where snow is an occassional problem.

Hakkapeliita-2 - This is my favorite snow tire. While not living up to the dry road characteristics of the WR, it excells in the snow. It is very predictable with a very smooth break-away. The tire wears very well. It is studdable.

Kuhmo
    KW11 Izen-stud - If you are looking for an inexpensive snow tire that has good snow characteristics and good dry characteristics, then this is it. It is another very predictable snow tire. It is studdable.

Bridgestone
    Blizzak WS-50 - Yet another good tire. I recommend this with one reservation: cornering ability is not as good as starting/stopping capability, and there seems to be less warning that you are going to slide then with some other tires.

Green Diamond
    Inari - The Inari is a good deep snow tire. The embedded carbide crystals do a great job at helping ice traction. While it is not as good as a studded snow tire, it is better on the ice then the other friction (studless) tires.

Toyo
    Observe S0-2 - Toyo's Observe uses crushed walnuts in the tire compound to get better ice grip. That seems to work reasonably well, but not as good as the carbide crystals.

jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:15 am   Post subject:  2006 Update Back to top 

2006 Update - Part 1

Another Real World Snow Tire Test has been completed, so now I have some additional tires to recommend. I have also added a bit more detail as to what the tires are best used for.

Nokian
    Hakkapeliitta 4 (Studded) - Without any reservations, I would say this is the best gripping studded snow tire I have ever driven. The grip on ice is incredible. Snow grip is similarly good. On the down side, they are noisy. The very warm winter and aggressive (read rally) driving of the 200 bhp, RWD test car managed to clean off over 50% of the rear studs and almost 75% of the tread.

Vredestein
    SnowTrac 2 - I really like these tires. They are designed for snow and dry performance. This test year, they were definitely a great choice. On the few days where it was snowy, they were very well mannered. On the dry, you almost forgot they were snow tires. They even survived the 90 degree heat of May (it was also a very, very hot spring) without any problems.

That's it for now, there will be some more updates coming this year.

jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:37 am   Post subject:  Re: John's Personal Picks! Back to top 

2006 Update - 2
Here is another tire to add to the recommended list.

Green Diamond
    Icelander - Green Diamond uses carbide crystals to get better traction on ice. The green crystals are embedded in the tread as part of the manufacturing processes. The Icelanders are designed to be a year round tire. They have good traction on clean ice and good traction in the snow.

These tires are currently under test in the Real World Snow Tire Tests. As of this post, the current set has approximately 20,000 miles on it, including summer usage. The tread has survived remarkably well, and it looks like it will easily go another winter without problems.

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic