The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Norwegian Tire Test Links

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:28 pm   Post subject:  Norwegian Tire Test Links Back to top 

More good tire reviews.

This set of links was sent to me by John Barge. The links are in Norweigan. There are several free translation services now available that you can "Google" for.
Quote: › I'm not sure if you have seen these, but the yearly tests done at "Motor"
magazine in Norway look to be quite intensive and complete. You might want
ot try and get an english translation off of them.

http://www.motor.no/
2003 test: http://www.motor.no/pdf/Vinterdekktest_2003.pdf
2002 test: http://www.motor.no/pdf/48-55%20VINTERDEKK-TEST_MO80.pdf
2001 test: http://www.motor.no/pdf/DEKKTEST.pdf

John Barge

red90
Real User
Real User
95 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

There is a new test for 2004.

The newest winter tire test from "Motor" magazine in Norway is here

Plus I have compiled the results for 2003 and 2004 into a spreadsheet in English.

Compiled Data for the Last 2 years is here

John B.

Download Post  Rating: Worth a look  
Mario Germain
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
2 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:20 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Wow! Interesting result between studded and unstudded tire. Smile

...and thanks for the spreadsheet. Very Happy

GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:51 am   Post subject:  Thanks Back to top 

Thanks for the updated link and puting the data in an Excel file.

It's really interesting to see how some of the tires change position each year, even when compared to the same tires:-) What it probably means is that the differences among the top performers are getting less and less.

It also tells me some of the tires I want to try to test next year.

- John

Setec Astronomy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
194 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:37 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

red90 wrote: › There is a new test for 2004.

Plus I have compiled the results for 2003 and 2004 into a spreadsheet in English.

Hey, is this a (new) 2005 test: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/bil/story/0,2789,709278,00.html? If so, could we pesuade you to tabulate the results as you have in the past? Smile Thanks in advance...

Download Post  No rating  
red90
Real User
Real User
95 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:30 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

New test results here:
http://www.motor.no/pdf/044-50_Mo08_LR1.pdf

Updated spreadheet here:
http://members.shaw.ca/red90/Winter_Tire_Test_2005.xls

The poor Blizzaks are getting there butts kicked. Surprised

Download Post  No rating  
Setec Astronomy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
194 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:58 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Hey, thanks for posting that!

Download Post  No rating  
RubyRed
Real User
Real User
2 Points

USA US Pennsylvania
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

red90 wrote: › ...The poor Blizzaks are getting there butts kicked. Surprised

Bridgestone should have stuck with their original design (WS-15), the WS-50s may last longer than the old style, but they give up too much winter performance to do so; they're no longer worthy of the designation "studless standard".

Mario Germain
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
2 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:27 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thanks for the Excel file! Very Happy

For the record, I know that these tires are available in Canada:

-Gislaved Nord Frost 3 (my friend run them)
-Wanli (I work at an electronic store and we can get them because we sell mag wheel, we never sold a set!) There are hard to find and size choise is limited in Canada.

GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Download Post  No rating  
bluemax_1
Real User
Real User
73 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:00 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Just curious, is there any connection between the Norwegian winter tire tests and the Swedish aftonbladet ones? I like the fact that they seem to concur as far as results go but was wondering if they might be agreeing because one or the other is a reprint of one test?

BTW, I bought a set of Nokian RSi's sized 245/40/18 for my Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (GTO for those in Europe/Asia). They're great! According to the test data, it seems that although they may be a little behind in braking compared to the ContiViking Contact 3 and SoftFrost 2, they're ahead in acceleration. Well, I can tell you for a fact, 400HP and AWD with these tires is a blast!!! I couldn't believe the acceleration possible in the snow! Was grinning for a good long time. So much easier to pull nice drifts too.

Max

Download Post  No rating  
Setec Astronomy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
194 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:48 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

bluemax_1 wrote: › Just curious, is there any connection between the Norwegian winter tire tests and the Swedish aftonbladet ones? I like the fact that they seem to concur as far as results go but was wondering if they might be agreeing because one or the other is a reprint of one test?

Yes, the Aftonbladet articles were reporting on the Norwegian Motor Magazine tests (at least that's what I came up with Confused )

Download Post  No rating  
bluemax_1
Real User
Real User
73 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:18 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Setec Astronomy wrote: ›
bluemax_1 wrote: › Just curious, is there any connection between the Norwegian winter tire tests and the Swedish aftonbladet ones? I like the fact that they seem to concur as far as results go but was wondering if they might be agreeing because one or the other is a reprint of one test?

Yes, the Aftonbladet articles were reporting on the Norwegian Motor Magazine tests (at least that's what I came up with Confused )

Ahh... that would certainly explain why the results appeared to be the same, and why both articles appeared some time in October. I definitely appreciate that they show the test data like measured times and distances in the reviews, as opposed to tirerack's arbitrary subjective ratings for ice rink traction.

Has anyone else looked at the tirerack's winter tire 'test' here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1.jsp
and the so-called 'data' here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_blizzak_revo1_c.jsp
and wondered about the seemingly large disparity in observed performance between the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and Michelin X-Ice there as opposed to the Norwegian tests that actually show data?

In the Norwegian tests, even the X-Ice which placed 4th for non-studded tires, significantly outperforms the WS-50 in EVERY test except braking on wet asphalt. And some of the margins are huge, eg. the braking from 50km/h (~31mph) on glare(smooth) ice where there's a 15.5 meter (~51 feet) difference in stopping distances in the X-Ice's favor (X-Ice 53.5m vs WS-50 69.0m), but the tirerack's subjective ratings have the WS-50 ahead of the X-Ice in every ice category including braking on ice.

I wonder what the cause is for such a huge disparity in the comparisons? Even the previous year's Norwegian/aftonbladet results show the WS-50 behind in the testing, and the current tests affirms that.

Max

Download Post  No rating  
Setec Astronomy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
194 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:10 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

I too, noticed that disparity in the Tire Rack's results. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that a skating rink doesn't ideally represent the road surfaces used in the other test. Besides, there will be some bias that will creep into most testing. I would expect Tire Rack testing to be a little less rigorous because their agenda is certainly different.

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:03 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

When we tested the WS-50 in 2004, it did a very good job, but was not considered the best overall tire. [Okay, the raw data on the Real World Tire Tests is not there, yet.] I would like to be able to test the latest Brigestone Blizzak, but unfortunately things did not work out with the factory. There was a post a while back about an alternative means to get a set. Please see this topic: http://www.snowtire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=269#269

BTW, If I can get my hands on a G-analyst type device, we should have better data in 2006 Real World Snow Tire Tests.

bluemax_1
Real User
Real User
73 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Would have loved to see how the Blizzak Revo-1 did in the Norwegian tire tests with actual measured data too. Pity they didn't get a chance to test them.

Would like to see them in the real world snow tire tests, but after buying the Nokians and the wheels for them, I'm going to be eating ramen noodles for a while. The Nokian's in 245/40/18 weren't cheap, but to keep my baby on the road and going where I wanted it to, I'm thinking it was worth it.

The whole deal with the tirerack's testing, although I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt (I know a couple of people who work there and they're great folks), there is that problem of how much the agenda of sales comes into play. For instance, they don't generally test anything they don't sell, so you never see a comparison with Toyo or Falkens thrown in for example, or Nokians, Green Diamonds or Gislaveds for that matter.

On the other hand, in the links I posted, they sell both the Bridgestone and Michelin winter tires, so I'm hard pressed to see why they might bias things since it wouldn't seem to affect their sales if they ranked the tires with say.... the Revo-1 in 1st, the X-Ice a close 2nd and the WS-50 in 3rd or 4th. Hmmmm.... unless they have a large back stock of WS-50's they'ld like to unload of course.

If only they had objective data as opposed to subjective ratings, it 'might' be possible to extrapolate some data as to how the Revo compares, but if you looked purely at the results of the tirerack vs. Norwegian testing, there is no way to know since if you use the X-Ice as the accurate denominator, then the Revo_1 should do very well, but if you use the WS-50 as the denominator, then the Revo's should suck almost as bad as the WS-50 (according to the Norwegian tests opinions of the WS-50).

The person from the tirerack I spoke to DID mention that the Revo is more of an ice tire though. He said it did better on ice but the WS-50 was better in deeper snow. That said, although I'm curious about their comparative performance I'm happy with my Nokian Hakka RSi's.

Did you folks know that the Nokian RSi are the ONLY non-studded tire from the top 3 in the Norwegian test available in the US? I just found that out yesterday. I know the ContiViking Contact 3 isn't sold here, but I thought the Gislaved SoftFrost 2 was, just not in the sizes I need so I never checked, but a friend of mine got into an accident with some crappy snow tires so she was looking for some good ones. I recommended the Nokians but looked into the Gislaveds to see if they were cheaper.

Rather than type it all out again, here's a link to the info:
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=306526

Post #1 is my review of the Hakka Rsi's and post #4 is what I found out about the SoftFrost not being available in the US.

Max

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic