The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

choice between the Nokians?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
bjr48
Real User
Real User
151 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 pm   Post subject:  choice between the Nokians? Back to top 

I want to consider Nokians again for the 2008-09 season and am trying to learn more about them. What is the main difference between the Hakka 2,4,5 and the RSi? I live in northern IN and commute to MI everyday and cannot legally drive studs in MI. One of my main questions is if I can't stud is the RSi the better choice as a friction tire or is the H2 or H4 still a choice for me? BTW, as far as I remember either the H2's or H4's do not come in the right size for me - one does and one doesn't RSi does for sure. So what is the difference between H2/4 or RSi?
I need 225/50/17 front and 225/55/17 rear.
I ended up with Michelin x-ice last season and this season and am impressed with their deep snow traction compared to my 2 seasons with Dunlop Graspics. For me deep snow and ice traction is VERY important becuase my one and only vehicle is an '05 Nissan 350Z with an open diff! We get dumped on with lake effect snow often and when the bypass doesn't get cleared right it can have dangerous patches of ice. I have some bridges to cross on that road as well and have to be carefull not to end up in the ditch with everyone else. I have modern rope/chains in my trunk for the day when I finally get stuck as backup, but I have made it up my driveway succesfully dragging the frame the whole way with the x-ice and plowed through a whiteout that I encountered half way to work last year and was able to keep my momentum up for the last 2 miles where I was plowing through 6" of unplowed snow watching mailboxes out my side window to tell where I was going. In comparison the Dunlops left me stranded at the bottom of my driveway in 4" and I had to clear the drive to put the car away later on a couple of occasions.
Don't mean to ramble but it may help you advise me! Wink

Download Post  No rating  
E36/5
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
564 Points

USA US Minnesota
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

If you're not using studs, I'd go for the RSi. The tread and rubber is optimized for no studs. Cheaper too. I'm sure the Hakka5 without studs is still wonderful, but I don't see the logic in paying extra for the ability to run studs.

Download Post  No rating  
bjr48
Real User
Real User
151 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:06 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

E36/5 wrote (View Post): ›
If you're not using studs, I'd go for the RSi. The tread and rubber is optimized for no studs. Cheaper too. I'm sure the Hakka5 without studs is still wonderful, but I don't see the logic in paying extra for the ability to run studs.

Thanks. I'm not afraid to spend money when you get the best but the cost of Hakka2/4 for my car were something like $250 per tire vs. under $150 each for the Micheline x-ice and the x-ice came in number 4 in the Norwegian studies so I figured I couldn't go wrong and wouldn't be gaining "$100 worth of traction" as one may put it. The RSi's ARE much more cost effective. The Nokian web site sort of leads you to believe RSi is the choice for studless but the H2 are still advertised as friction tires. Hope to get some real world feed back here. Keep the advice coming, I've got about 10 months to think this one out!

Download Post  No rating  
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:10 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Since the Hakka-2, Nokian has been using a friction tire compound in their studded snow tire designs. It doesn't necessarily mean it is the same compound as the RSi.

Having run both the Hakka 2 and the 4 very aggressively, I will say that the Hakka 4 has better grip and turn in then the 2. While I have both in the garage, the Hakka 4 went on this year, not the Hakka 2.

The testing we did with the RSi showed it to be a very capable snow tire, but on ice, the Hakka 4, with the strange square topped studs, did a better job at finding traction.

It should be noted that the new studs are quite sharp and grip very well. Too well infact, because if you have a tendency to spin the tires on a regular basis on dry roads (say sliding the rear end around a corner on a rally), you can pul the studs out. It's not easy, but enough abuse will cause them to pop out. (There are some pictures of this connected with the write-up of the 2006 Real World Snow Tire Tests.)

If you do decide you want studs, there are a few drawbacks to keep in mind: noise, cost, slight loss of traction.

I have yet to drive the Hakka-5, but I am hopeful they will make it into the 2008 Real World Snow Tire Tests.

- John

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic