The Snow Tire FAQ Forums
The Snow Tire FAQ

Home • Snow Tire FAQ • Forum • Recommended • Reviews • Snow Tire Tests • Forum Portal • Tools & References • Where to Buy
Check your PM • Register • Log in

A place to discuss Snow Tires and Winter Driving.
Calendar 

Snow Tire FAQ Search

Add to Google

Advanced Forum Search

Current Test Conditions
Find more about Weather in Fairport, NY
Click for weather forecast

Google's Suggestions

Board Navigation
Home
Forum

Acronyms
Album
Calendar
Downloads
Forum Tour
Knowledge Base
Latest Ratings
Links
Online Users
Personal Albums
RSS Feed
Rules
Staff
Statistics

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

My Cookies

Poll
How do you like the new look of Snow Tire FAQ?
  It's GREAT!
  It's OKAY, but...
  I like the old look better.
  Is that the best you could do?
  Who cares, I just want to get at the information.
You must login to vote

Donations
New Donations
1  Donated by:   Londoner43
Amount:5
2  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:1
3  Donated by:   mstrmstr
4  Donated by:   Anonymous
5  Donated by:   Anonymous
Amount:0

Make A Donation

Inari's under brisk winter tsd conditions

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
jwernerny
Site Admin
Site Admin
3123 Points

USA US New York
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:21 pm   Post subject:  Inari's under brisk winter tsd conditions Back to top 

Mike White, another Rallyist, agreed to let me post some comments on the Green Diamond Inari tires he ran in a recent rally. Here is what he had to say:

Quote: › Hey John-

Just thought I would send you a note and give you my impressions of the Inari.

Size is 215/55-16 mounted on stock alloy rims. Car is stock 2002 wrx wagon. Event was John Buffum's Vermont Winter TSD this past weekend. The TSD was a VERY brisk event with CAS speeds in the 40-44mph range on 1 1/2 lane, ice covered roads. Temps were teens to single digits. Roads ranged from: clear dirt, ice covered dirt, ice with snow dusting over dirt, heavily sanded tarmac. Pressures set 28fr, 33 rear. The car was very stable at highway+ speeds on secondary roads with a slightly heavy on center feel. Heavy understeer on sanded pavement, no surprise here, until large throttle openings brought the rear around. But the tire let you know what is was going to do. Very predictable. On the ice stages we could launch hard on the uphill, ice sections at near full throttle without wheelspin. With the exception of several very, very polished-ice, hairpin corners, the car simply had grip. Braking was substantially better than I would have thought and allowed us to brake later and later. They have big lugs that dig down in deep snow. The lugs are a good compromise between the super-siped Hakka Q or Bridgestone and a truck lug, giving the feel that the tire is working around to find little nubs of ice to hold onto, but not giving up steering feel or precision. The granular stuff...carbide, whatever provides near-stud levels of grip on bare ice. And the sidewalls are strong enough to provide puncture protection.

I have driven nearly every Nokian tire made since the Hakka 09 on Mich Alpins, Blizzaks on fwd, rwd, awd cars and these are simply the best tire I've ever driven. Other tires may have been slightly better in one of the above conditions, but non are as good as the Inari is in all. I hope they're bringing more in next year!

Keep up the good work on the site John!

yu130960
Real User
Real User
0 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:42 am   Post subject:  Green Diamonds Back to top 

I have read as much as is available on these Green Diamond Tires ("GDT") and since I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, there is not a dealer up here so I was considering ordering a set for the following vehicle:

2000 Dodge Durango
Original Tires: 15x8 Aluminum-Mag rims with Goodyear Wranglers (31 x 10.5x15)

Current Snow Tires: Chrysler 15x6 Steel Rims with Pirelli S2 P235/15/75

The only size that the Green Diamnods come in for my truck are the Ultra Traction, any reviews on this tire? I have read the thread with the respnose from GDT, which said that the compound was all the same, and that the carbide is where it counts, but am still a bit confused.

Also, I spoke to one of the GDT dealers listed on their web site in New York and was advised that he was no longer a dealer as he had a "hell of time" balancing the tires and that they would wear out "a lot sooner than he expected".

Is there anyone that has reviewed the Ultra Traction?

Also, I wouldn't mind a recommendation for my application. We get lots of freezing rain and slushy snow up here. Deep stuff maybe once or twice a year. Studded tires have been outlawed since the 1970s so that is not an option. Thanks.

Download Post  No rating  
Mario Germain
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
2 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:02 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

http://www.snowtire.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39

I reviewed the Ultra Traction but I don't have the carbide stuff in mine.

GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Download Post  No rating  
yu130960
Real User
Real User
0 Points

PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Thank you so much for that link.

I was looking for a supplier in Canada because I did not want to deal with customs/duties/taxes etc. I looked at the Ultra Traction on the above web site and it looks to be exactly the same as the ones listed on www.greendiamondtire.com.

I assume various factories have licenced the technology and are manufacturing these remolds.

This a great web site btw.

Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic